Dr. Maggie Ma
Technical Fellow, Boeing Commercial Airplane Division
Maggie Ma is a Certified Human Factors Professional (CHFP) who specializes in maintenance human factors, and a Boeing Technical Fellow. Maggie received her Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering/Human Factors Engineering in 2005 from State University of New York at Buffalo. Maggie has 20 years of experience in conducting applied human factors research to improve aviation safety through developing various safety programs (e.g., event investigation, training, self-reporting, and observation of normal operations). She has authored over 70 technical publications, has chaired technical sessions, and is frequently a speaker at aviation safety conferences and workshops. She has worked closely with airlines, manufacturers, maintenance organizations, ground service providers, and regulatory agencies around the world.
Maggie joined the Boeing Company in January 2012. Her primary responsibilities include providing implementation support to customer airlines, maintenance organizations, and internal customers on a wide array of safety processes/programs, e.g., the Maintenance Event Decision Aid (MEDA) process, the Ramp Event Decision Aid process, Maintenance Human Factors training, a Safety Management System, Maintenance Line Operations Safety Assessment (LOSA), and Ramp LOSA. She also leads several Boeing initiatives and innovation projects. Maggie and her former lead, Dr. Bill Rankin received the Engineering Team of the Year Award for Boeing Commercial Aviation Services in February 2013. Maggie received the Boeing Service Culture Excellence Award in June 2018.
Previously, Maggie was a faculty member of Aviation Science at Saint Louis University and also worked as a senior usability consultant at Perficient Inc. She was an Amelia Earhart Fellow 2004-05.
- Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (HFES)
- Board of Certification in Professional Ergonomics: certified Human Factors Professional (CHFP)
- Boeing Community of Excellence in Human Engineering
- International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Human Performance Task Force
- European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) Human Factors Collaborative Analysis Group (HF CAG)
- FAA’s Research, Engineering, and Development Human Factors Subcommittee
- Airlines for America (A4A) Maintenance Safety Committee
- UK Royal Aeronautical Society Human Factors Group: Engineering (RAeS HFG:E) (corresponding member)